More broken Apples...

Mike van Bokhoven mike at fenz.net
Mon Apr 27 05:25:18 CDT 2009

Alexandre Souza wrote:
>    It brings to my mind the Exato II Pro (search for it on the web)
> from CCE (Brazil). It was a beautiful apple clone, with one of the
> best keyboards I've ever used (similar or better than the GREAT IBM
> model "M"). It has a row of 10 or 12, I'm not that sure, programable
> function keys on the top of the keyboard. A real gem outside. But used
> one of the WORST IC sockets ever made. It is so bad, but SO BAD, that
> I know of no one that operates well today. And even one I had when
> they were new had the same problems. The leaf-type sockets oxidised
> (wow, how do I spell it?) so fast that CCE had to stop producing it
> and recall many of the computers made. I have two here, maybe someday
> I'll change all the sockets and have a great machine for playing.

Now I'm fascinated by the thought of Brazilian Apple II+ clones. Did any
of them vary much from the standard Apple II configurations?
>    Interesting that most brazilian ][+ clones are equal in cabinet and
> even in schematic. All brazilian apple ][+ boards (except Micro
> Engenho, MaXXi and Laser 128 //c) are carbon copies one of another :o)
> Even the ones with lower case are equal, but with a small board on the
> place of the character ROM :oD

They're probably like the clones we saw in New Zealand - really almost
identical to an original Apple II+ board. In fact, all three machines I
have here are very similar - as I mentioned, same type of ICs in the
same locations. I guess in most cases, there wasn't any point in
changing what was known to work! In the 80s I had a machine called a
MedFly - bizarre name, but just an Apple II+ clone with most options on
board (e.g. the 16k expansion, Z80 second processor for CP/M). I think
it was a rebadged Basis 108, which I recall had legal licensed Apple
ROMs in it. I don't think that was common. Certainly, the main board in
that was nothing like a standard Apple one, though I'd guess that
electrically it was just like a II+ with a bunch of cards in it.

Cheers,

Mike