More broken Apples...

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 13:17:20 CDT 2009

>     It brings to my mind the Exato II Pro (search for it on the web) from
> CCE (Brazil). It was a beautiful apple clone, with one of the best keyboards
> I've ever used (similar or better than the GREAT IBM model "M"). It has a
> row of 10 or 12, I'm not that sure, programable function keys on the top of
> the keyboard. A real gem outside. But used one of the WORST IC sockets ever
> made. It is so bad, but SO BAD, that I know of no one that operates well
> today. And even one I had when they were new had the same problems. The
> leaf-type sockets oxidised (wow, how do I spell it?) so fast that CCE had to
> stop producing it and recall many of the computers made. I have two here,
> maybe someday I'll change all the sockets and have a great machine for
> playing.

I think the best thing to do with a machine like that is to remove all
the old sockets (cut them up and desolder a pin at a time), clean out the
PCB holes and replace them with turned pin (machined pin, whatever you
call them) sockets. Yes, they're expensive, but I've yet to have problems
with them. I use nothing else here...