More Apple II fun - 4116s...

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 05:33:06 CDT 2009

--- On Wed, 4/29/09, falco at ihug.co.nz <falco at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> My real question is - 9 faulty out of 48, spread across
> both machines,
> seems very high. Are 4116s that unreliable?

Yes.

> Or perhaps
> they're quite
> sensitive to power supply problems?

Very yes.

4116's need -5v from the power supply. They also run very hot. They're pretty unreliable, and a common source of problems in machines. Not to say they're terrible - they are good for what they are... but they are nowhere near as reliable as 4164's

Note that with a little modification, you can make 4164's work in the place of 4116's. They have almost the same pinout, they don't use -5v, and they run much cooler.

-Ian