Reanimating a PDP-11/23

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Fri Dec 4 21:31:09 CST 2009

Just to expand slightly on Dave's concise response and avoid further churn: the PDP-11 departed from the earlier practice of special I/O instructions and implemented memory mapped I/O.  The top 4 kW is reserved for I/O devices, with a special signal being generated on the LSI-11 bus that 'enforces' this.  So a PDP-11 without memory management will allow up to 28 kW; an 18-bit bus will allow up to 124 kW.  I'll let you do the math for a 22-bit memory management system.

I'm glad things are coming together!  Cheers -- Ian