isa usb card

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 02:48:35 CST 2009

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 8 Dec 2009 at 23:46, Curt @ Atari Museum wrote:
>
> My thought was to look around for a PC104-interface card if an ISA
> one couldn't be found.  One could conceivably build a card with its
> own microcontroller and UHCI and local RAM.  Then even USB 2.0
> wouldn't be a problem on a PC XT, assuming that you could find the
> appropriate drivers.

The FTDI vinculum would be suitable for this, that's what the DataCentre
for the BBC micro uses, to allow it to read disk image files off a USB
stick.

The good thing about the Vinculum, and some of FTDI's other USB
interface chips, is that to the host computer they just present an 8 bit
interface, so talking to them is essentialy a matter of an address
decoder and writing the apropreate drivers.

Cheers,

Phill.