ZAX ICD-378 Z80 Hardware debugger

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 15:19:07 CST 2009

 > There's no way in hell I'd want to try and fix one of the old ICE's we
> used for 8051s at my work. Talk about a pandora's box!

Why do you say that?

The ZAX ICE that I have seems to consist basically of a Z80 processor,
memory to capture actesses to the target system (a sort-of dedicated
logic analyser) and not too much else. The Z80is switched beterrn the
target system, and a monitor program in ROM in the ICE box which lets you
examine/chnge memory, registers, etc.

OK, it's 3 or 4 boards of chips, but that's by no means the most
complicated thing I've worked on.