720RPM 3.5" FDDs?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Feb 2 17:24:44 CST 2009

On 2 Feb 2009 at 13:05, Fred Cisin wrote:

> and, of course, disk makers.
> the 1.4M drive is usually run at 300 RPM (exception: NEC, etc.) at
> 500 K bits per second.  That 500Kbps is 500,000 bits per second.

Oh, heck, I recall the differences in the 1960's.  One manufacturer
would talk about a 65K or 131K memory and another would talk about a
64K or 128K.  I don't believe that, when it comes to numerable items,
such as the number of words a memory device has (as opposed to a unit
of measurement) there has ever been any universal agreement.

`When _I_ use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone,
`it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

`The question is,' said Alice, `whether you CAN make words mean so
many different things.'

`The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master - -
that's all.'

Cheers,
Chuck