Anyone have a line on batteries for the NLS portable oscilloscope?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 22:29:50 CST 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 05:33:28 pm Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Roy J. Tellason <rtellason at verizon.net>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 February 2009 01:51:59 pm Ethan Dicks wrote:
> >> Hi, All,
> >>
> >> The topic of replacement batteries came up in the Yahoo Group
> >> for the RB5X, and someone posted a link for 2 volt 2.5 Amp-hour
> >> cells...
> >>
> >> <http://www.batteryweb.com/hawkersla-detail.cfm?Model=0810-0004&label=si
> >>ngl ecell>
> >>
> >> I saw the image and immediately thought of my NLS portable oscilloscope.
> >> I'd love to refurb mine, but $45 in batteries is a little on the high
> >> side for me.
> >
> > Are we talking about more or less standard gel cells?  The 2V terminal
> > voltage would seem to indicate so.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Those are *very* standardized,  in terms of similar sizes being offered
> > by a great many different manufacturers.  When I was doing the retail
> > battery thing some years back (roughly 1993-5),  we carried PowerSonic
> > and one other brand I'm not remembering at the moment,  and the sizes for
> > similar capacities was a pretty good match for the Panasonic units listed
> > in the Digi-Key catalog.  Folks would come in with all sorts of other
> > units and I was usually able to match them up with something that would
> > fit.
>
> I'm not concerned about specific vendors - just D-sized (to fit the
> enclosure) with solder-tabs.

On re-reading my earlier post,  I *do* remember D-sized single cells,  with
tabs on them.  I think spade lugs were perhaps the more usual means of
connecting to them but I don't see soldering as being that much of a problem
either.  Gates made 'em.

> > I've never seen single cells,  but we did have some 4V units which were
> > only two cells.
>
> My NLS has 3 single cells, bonded together, IIRC.  I would be happy to
> solder up loose cells.

There were also sets of 2, 3, and 6 cells packaged in plastic and in various
sizes including D sized.  Some lawn mowers used these for starting!  In some
cases we were able to get a replacement pack that included a six-cell setup
that would go inside the original plastic box.

> > Capacity in any given size of box seems to gradually increase over time.
> > I've seen 6, 6.5, and 7AH in exactly the same size container,  for
> > example.
>
> Capactity isn't really a show-stopper for the oscilloscope, but I
> think I do need good batteries in there to function, even when plugged
> in.

I didn't know that about those little scopes,  which I'd still like to get one
of someday,  just to play with it.  :-)  I remember them coming out with a
dual-trace model too,  and can't quite imagine how that'd be on that small of
a screen.

> > Shipping is going to be the worst of it.  I'd find some national chain
> > convenient to you (Batteries Plus being an example) and then see if you
> > can get them to order what you need,  and it won't cost you for shipping
> > at all.
>
> I can certainly start there.  There's one nearby, and I have a target
> price of $7 each (ex. S&H)

There you go,  then.

-
M Dakin