Anyone have a line on batteries for the NLS

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 18:17:32 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Allison <ajp166 at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> For the NLS 'scopes the battery is between the charge source and the
> scope power supply so if it's open (badly sulfated as the battery is
> lead acid gell type) the PS has to carry the load. It's only a charger.
> if you substitute a larger charger then you find the charge circuit
> does not have the capacity to start the unit (initial surge current).

That all sounds consistent with observed behavior.

> In this case (nls miniscopes) a 6V PS can substitute for the battery at
> less tha 1A (must be connected to the ground and +6V termianls of the
> battery connection point internally).  Only if the battery is removed first.
> Note that is the battery has failed (usually sulfated from not being kept
> charged) they tend to build corrosion around the terminal, they are best
> removed and recycled as any gelled lead acid battery should be.

OK.  I may try that.  I can probably use a bench-top supply, and now
that I know the batteries are not made from unobtanium, I'll probably
just remove them and drop them off at a Batteries Plus or wherever one
disposes of non-alkaline batteries these days.

> Since I use my miniscopes intermittently I've long since removed the
> battery and disconnected the internal charge circuit (pull the fuse).
> The battery area has a small board inserted to allow it to accept any
> voltage from 9 to 30V and run from that.  Since I have a number of small
> 12V gell cells that fit nicely in the probe pocket of the carry case
> this proves more useful and maintainable.  The change is completely
> reverseable and the ability to use a larger and longer lasting 12V
> battery as source is very handy.

Interesting.  I have the schematics somewhere (I found them on the
'net after not too much searching), so I may give that a try

> The NLS is somewhat unique as it uses a lead acid type rather than NiCd,
> Nimh, lithium or even common dry cells. In an emergency I have run it
> off 4 'D" sized alkaline cells in an external holder for many hours.

Also an interesting suggestion.

I will probably try some temporary method of powering this up first -
it came to me in an inert state, so I can't be sure the device doesn't
require repair first.

Thanks for the all the good tips, Allison,

-ethan