Alignment disks, and the creation thereof

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 17:11:15 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Jules Richardson
<jules.richardson99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fred Cisin wrote:
>>>
>>> I think I'll miss the death-rattle of encountering a bad disk block, or
>>> even the grinding/squealing noise as the surface of a disk falls off and
>>> demolishes the drive head.

Heard that plenty of times.  My first head crash was an RK05F.  :-(

>> Ah HA!
>> THAT is what is missing from simulation!
>
> Well, the weight needs to be right too, so that it hurts appropriately
> (according to drive size) when you drop it on your foot ;)

Fortunately, I have yet to drop much of anything vintage on my foot
(but I've gotten plenty of nicks and pinches racking and unracking
disk drives).

For the record, I do *not* want to drop either of my largest two
drives on a foot (DEC RA81 and CDC 9766).

-ethan