Nicolet 660

Kenneth Marshall kmar at lle.rochester.edu
Sat Feb 14 01:00:28 CST 2009

On Feb 14, 2009, at 12:48 AM, Chris Kennedy wrote:

> John Floren wrote:
>
>> Could you explain about head locks? I have never heard of the term.
>
> Many SMD drives have mechanical spindle and head locks for shipping
> purposes.  It's pretty obvious when either are in place, as the thing
> won't spin or the heads won't load, respectively -- although both
> should
> result in a fault condition.
>
> Your problem almost sounds like a bad/mis-connected B-cable.
>
> --
> Chris Kennedy
> chris at mainecoon.com		AF6AP/AFA9KC
> http://www.mainecoon.com	PGP KeyID 108DAB97
> PGP fingerprint: 4E99 10B6 7253 B048 6685  6CBC 55E1 20A3 108D AB97
> "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration..."

I can guarantee that the heads are not locked. The NIC 6600
workstation was working condition, 24/7 until about 4 years ago, when
I came in one morning to use the FTIR spectrometer it was connected
to and got the SMD timeout error when trying to access the FTIR
software on the SMD disk. Spent some time back then checking for
loose cables and other obvious problems, but couldn't find anything
that stood out. It had been running fine the previous day- no power
outages in the building, etc. It's been powered down in it's original
location since then,until this week.

Ken Marshall

Kenneth L. Marshall
Research Engineer, Optical Materials