Tektronix 4225 -- is it an X terminal?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 08:30:07 CST 2009

Jules Richardson wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> See ebay item # 360132413754
>>
>> That listing just includes the base unit, but thankfully has closeup
>> pictures of the connectors on the back.
>>
>> It looks like it takes AUI ethernet or RS-232 and outputs RGB video.
>>
>> Anyone familiar with these puppies?  I've not seen one before.
>
> Heck, that's interesting. I'll dig in my notes in a bit in case they
> shed any light

Hmm, I don't seem to have anything helpful, sadly. One of my XD88-related
scans mentions "4300 and 4200 series workstations and netstations", but all
that implies is that the 4225 was earlier. Reading between the lines, it seems
that the 4225 runs on something other than an m88k.

Some Google results seem to imply that the 4225 is "just a graphical
terminal", and not even a full-fledged X terminal at that.

I don't think there's mention of a keyboard in that auction is there? That
might be problematic - although the socket's the same as the XD88 family one
(and, I think, some of Tek's earlier terminals) so it may be that there was
some commonality across models.

All this makes me realise just how much Tek knowledge seems to be a lost - I
mean, the earlier Tek terminals seem to be pretty well understood, but then
most of the hardware, software and docs from the later years has just vanished.

cheers

J.