Mac 400k floppy drive alignment?

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 22:20:52 CST 2009

> From: derschjo at mail.msu.edu
>
> Got myself an ancient external 400k mac floppy drive on the cheap that
> I'd like to use on my 128k mac -- after cleaning out the old dried
> lubricant and getting the drive mechanism running again, the drive works
> but will only read/write disks that it has formatted, which leads me to
> believe that the drive is out of alignment. How is alignment corrected
> on these drives?
>
> Thanks!
> Josh

Hi
 Like any other drive, you need an alignment disk for a 400k drive.
That would be a tough one.
You can always just experiment some. Before moving the stepper,
make sure the track zero is in the right place. After a recal,
measure the distance the head is from the spindle. It should be
close to the same for both drives.
 If the track zero is right, try the stepper next.
Dwight