Lifting heavy rack-mount gear (was Re: PDP-8/e rack questions)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 7 10:31:14 CST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 1:40 AM, Henk Gooijen wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 2009, at 12:03 AM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>> IIRC, Sridar has a story or two that, fortunately, I can't top.
>>
>> Yeah, but most of Sridhar's stories involve his gear nearly
>> crushing ME! ;)
>>
>> This is rather severely off-topic, as most of the machines
>> described are pretty new, but I recently offloaded some very heavy
>> gear from a truck onto my driveway by myself
>
> ... snip very nice story with lots of heavy cool  pictures :-)

   Thanks!  These didn't actually have anything to do with Sridhar,
despite the context...should've mentioned that earlier.

> Those machines were *just* small enough to go through the opening
> (standing upright). I bet that you measured the height first!
> Unloading a truck can be quite a task with this stuff. For that
> reason I always rent a truck with a hydraulic tail (or what the
> proper name is for it).
> But when everythiong is unloaded, yes, the memories are fun.

   I neglected to mention that I flew from Florida to Chicago to pick
up that truck as a one-way rental, and the people in Chicago gave me
a rear door height measurement that was inaccurate by about six
inches.  Pat and I were quite pissed to find that the truck was
actually too short to accommodate the Sun Fire 6800s, and we had to
lay them down.  The other gear (including the E10K) is shorter,
though, and that stuff did fit.

   Also, I was unable to find a truck with a lift gate for a one-way
rental, so this was the only real option.  The upside is, now I look
like a god to my new employer. ;)  He has moved a lot of very high-
end gear so he knows the difficulties involved.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL