Lifting heavy rack-mount gear (was Re: PDP-8/e rack questions)

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Wed Jan 7 13:50:21 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:34:23AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> >Nice pictures, they make me feel like a total amateur having "only"

Well, in a pinch I suppose a piece of rope could take the place of a
belt like the professionals use. I simply wanted to make sure no one
here lost a finger. I suppose there is a proper professional name for
those belts? ;-) I'd use some 2x4 and some very strong rope instead of
putting my fingers under a rack.

> >I was not participating myself, but heard some scary stories from when
> >the computer club moved a E10K into the server room. I allways giggle
> >when I see the two very visible dents in the sill from the E10K
> >wheels.

I suppose I shouldn't mention the night I helped a friend move some
old computer rack into his basement apartment at 2am. I bet there are
still pieces of missing concrete, from the steps on those stairs as we
dropped the rack step by step... (*WHAM* *WHAM*)

>   They certainly leave their mark!  :-)

Really? :-)

>           -Dave

- Diane