PDP-11/05 returns to life

Tobias Russell toby at coreware.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 05:25:54 CST 2009

I've tried out this chasing lights code on the 11/05:

	Location	Contents	Opcode		Comment
	001000		012700		mov #1,r0	Load 1 into R0
	001002		000001
	001004		006100		rol r0		Rotate R0 left
	001006		000005		reset		Initialise bus (70ms)
	001010		000775		br .-4		Loop back to 'rol r0'

(from http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/pdp-11/11_40.html)

This runs, but no chasing lights, I just see what looks like PC activity. So perhaps the
11/05 doesn't display R0 on a RESET.

On the operating system front, I've built an RT11 v4 RX01 image on SIMH, but its refusing
to work with 16KW of memory (using SJ). Does anyone have any tips for minimizing the memory
requirements on RT-11?

Finally, I have a choice of RX21 + RX02 or RX11 + RX01 on the 11/05. Beyond the added pain of
having to toggle in a longer bootstrap on the RX02, is there any reason not to go with the
RX21/RX02 combo?

Thanks,
Toby

believed to be clean.