PDP-11/05 returns to life

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jan 9 07:53:45 CST 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Tobias Russell wrote:
> I've tried out this chasing lights code on the 11/05:
[...]
> This runs, but no chasing lights, I just see what looks like PC activity. So perhaps the
> 11/05 doesn't display R0 on a RESET.

I think that you can't have any chasing lights on an 11/05 or 11/10. Both
processors are very reduced microcodes versions of the 11/20. And they
don't address the frontpanel like the other PDPs, but instead the single
row LED line is loaded serially and displays the PC when running. This FP
is really only useful when the CPU is halted.

Christian