XKL TOAD

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:19:04 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Patrick Finnegan
<pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Richard wrote:
>> In article <496E3BC2.1020005 at hawkmountain.net>,
>> Yeah, its better!  You don't have to pay the power bills or setup the
>> HVAC, the raised floor, etc.
>
> Then, what's the point?
>
> Half the fun of running big machines (for me) is the hundreds of hours
> and thousands of dollars you put into improvements in your living space
> to turn it into a datacenter, which at best only slightly lowers the
> resale value of your house. :)

I already have the raised floor (about 400 sq ft).  I just need a
modern building out on my land to install the flooring in (right now,
the 11/70s and 11/750s and most of the other H960s are in a 1950s
quonset hut - it's cute, but the curved walls are inefficient for
trying to make a datacenter in the corner of, so the flooring is
stacked, waiting for a rectilinear building to go up next door).

That and I don't have adequate electric service to the place without
upgrading the pole.  I've got 100A for the house and quonset hut
*combined*.

-ethan