FPGA PDP-10 (was Re: XKL TOAD)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:36:35 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:25 PM, John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com> wrote:
>> Actually, he's gotten pretty far on it.  I just talked to him today about
>> it.  I'd have to go back and look at my e-mail archives but late Nov/Dec he
>> had it passing all of the DEC CPU diagnostics on a verilog simulator.  Today
>> he told me how many FFs & LUTs it took (not as much as he thought) to
>> implement a KA10 style CPU (so he's doing synthesis).

Nice.  Thanks for the update, Guy.

> Promising! I've wanted to see a -10 in FPGA for a while now, never had
> the ambition (or the hardware) to try writing one in VHDL or anything.
> Good luck to Dave, I guess.

As I mentioned the other night, I'm peripherally interested in an
FPGA-implemented -10, but I have a definite budget - I'm willing to
roll a lot of my own hardware (loose parts, soldering, etc), but I
really can't justify more than a few hundred $$$ in total.  I
certainly can't assist with the VHDL-end of things.

Once things get past the experimental stage and it's booting TOPS-20,
I'm likely to be more interested.  My requirements are pretty loose -
if it runs one of the extant compiled versions of MDL Zork, I'm in.

-ethan