hams on classiccmp

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Sun Jan 18 03:01:56 CST 2009

Industry folks say that the lifetime of electrolytic capacitors is about fourteen years.  Since the filter caps in our machines were significantly (i.e. TWICE) older than that (and some showed physical symptoms of degradation), we replaced them rather than deal with them one by one as they failed.  In our experience with our PDP-10 machines, this was (despite its cost) cheap insurance against periodic failures, which can occasionally be catastrophic.

The foam on the doors not only serves to cut down on dust into the machine, it also cuts down on the noise in the machine room.  That makes me happy.  :-)  Yes, the machines can be run without it.  But since our goal is restoration, we'll replace it - and yes, replace it again in ten or fifteen years.

We *are* running the machine off three separate 110V single-phase circuits - apparently you missed that part.  Despite your opinion that "it should be obvious", as good engineering practice I wanted to understand how the machine was using the input power before making assumptions.  I'd rather spend some time in due diligence than in damage control - or fire fighting!  Also, since our interest is historical restoration, we wanted to make use of the PDU as wired rather than try to bypass it with some sort of approach that would feed 110V directly to the various elements.  You may be completely correct about how buildings are wired, but our building isn't wired that way.  The EE on our team came up with an approach that's working for us.

That raises an interesting point I forgot to mention: it's important to determine that the various subsystems are properly plugged into the PDU.  When we first tried to bring up the machine, it would pop the main breaker.  After some head-scratching, we determined that this was because the fan for the memory subsystem wasn't plugged into an unswitched outlet.  If that fan isn't running, there's a signal from an airflow sensor that trips the main breaker!

Yes, if the OS doesn't boot that means you have a problem - but what problem?  DEC designed these diagnostics to tell you where that problem lies.  I chose to minimize my variables.  Chalk it up to a dozen years as a software quality assurance manager at Microsoft.  Given the expectations of the people who sign my paycheck, I chose the conservative route.

I disagree with your opinion on scoping the power supply outputs.  In my colleagues' work with the PDP-10s we have, they found that 'weird' problems were often caused by an unexpectedly unfiltered DC line - and DCOK didn't cop to it.  I have clean power - under load - to this machine.

We have a valid 6.2 license, which is a 'period' OS for this machine.  As to your assertion that we would be fine using the hobbyist license with 7.2: I'm not a lawyer, are you?  I have used the 7.2 hobbyist release and PAKs for a number of years on several of my own VAXen at home.  But this is not 'at home' and I know my 6.2 license is legal and proper.