Running 3 phase 780s on single phase power (was RE: hams on classiccmp)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Jan 19 14:34:52 CST 2009

On Monday 19 January 2009, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009 02:59:53 pm Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Not if he uses the original pdu and original power cord, which has
> > only a single 10AWG neutral conductor.
>
> Ah,  THAT was the missing piece...
>
> Now I understand what the concern is with this stuff!
>
> Not being familiar with these systems,  is that cord hard-wired in to
> the computer end of things?  Hooked to a single connector?  Something
> like that?

It terminates on screw terminals (which happen to be part of a 30A,
3phase EMI filter) that are on the switch-side of the PDU, under a
metal cover.  So, it's not that hard to remove, but it's not just a
connector.  IIRC, from there, it goes through the main breaker and then
multiplexes out to each of the outlets on the back and the internal
transformer that supplies power to run the emergency-off, power-on
relay, etc.

Pat