Odd PDP-8/I

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Tue Jan 20 07:23:30 CST 2009

I sort of found an answer here. The pedestal version is mentioned in
the pdp-8 faq:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dec-faq/pdp8-models/section-5.html

Also there are pictures in the maintenance manual:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp8/pdp8i/DEC-8I-HR1A-D_8Imaint_Mar70.pdf

Was this part of DEC marketing the PDP-8 as cute? it sure is :)

The question remains though, has anyone seen it in the wild? What was it
used for?

/P