Wall warts; was: hams on classiccmp

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:35:32 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2009 at 14:20, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> I guess "proper" liquid polystyrene cement is Methylene Chloride, but
>> MEK is easy to get at the hardware store by the pint or larger
>> container.
>
> Just the opposite here--MEK can't be found nearby in town, due to the
> city toxics reporting laws (too much trouble to stock it, so
> merchants don't).  I have to drive to the next town to find it.

Hmm... no problem here - the closest DIY shop has it in the paint
section for $7 per large container (1L?  2L?  4L?) but doesn't have
Methylene Chloride in with the other solvents.

>> I have a few things I'd like to "weld" up... guess I'll have to find a
>> source of Methylene Chloride somewhere...
>
> Hobby shops carry the stuff under various names:  Plastiweld is one,
> Bondene is another.

Right.  I'm trying to find it from a source that doesn't dole it out
in 1oz containers for a few bucks.  I don't mind paying a few bucks
per liter, but not per ounce

> Oddly, the next largest size that's easy to
> obtain seems to be a 55 gallon drum...

That would be, um, a bit much for hobby use.

> It's great for styren or ABS.  It's also in many paint strippers.

Yes... I am planning on working with styrene and ABS, so it sounds
perfect.  It's good to know that acetone is good with acrylic.  That'd
be the other one I'd probably work with.

-ethan