CP/M 2.2 Sector Translation Question

Dave Mabry dmabry at mich.com
Thu Jan 22 17:52:38 CST 2009

Off the top of my head (I know, dangerous and unreliable), the sector
skewing on my Intel MDS was done in the formatting routine.  There was a
skew offset of something like 3, I think.  The BIOS/BDOS didn't do any
translation.  It was basically done by writing logical sector numbers
onto the disks that were not the same as physical sectors.

Remember that the Intel MDS CP/M was the way it was released from DRI.
Any other OEM could implement theirs differently.

Dave