Wall warts; was: hams on classiccmp

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 14:29:14 CST 2009

> Then there are fun details like this one: ethanol is a nice harmless
> cleaning fluid for many things, including most plastics.  But it will
> turn plexiglas matte.

I remember some HP displays [1] where the data sheet warned you not to
clean them with 'alcohol' (whether it meant ethanol, or any alcohol I
don't know, and given the prices of the displays I was not going to try
it!). Apparently alcohol would attack the plastic package and cloud up
the viewing lenses.

[1] These were 4 character, 14 segment LED 'starbust' displays with a
built-in character generator ROM and scanner. You had 2 address lines and
some data lines, and you sent it ASCII codes. The numnber '1414' springs
to mind for the smallest/simplest one. I think some other company
(Siemens?) made compatile LED dot matrix displays at one point too.