AFIPS Press

Jim Battle frustum at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 25 14:18:20 CST 2009

First, the questions: does anybody know what happened to AFIPS Press?

Next, the background:

I bought a used AFIPS 1979 Conference Proceedings (Vol 48) of the
National Computer Conference.  I bought it for a single article.

I'd like to scan and post that article online.  Although I've scanned
other material and put it online, I know ACM and IEEE are still very
protective of even 40 year old publications, as they actively sell
reprints online (some of which I've bought).  This is a meaningful
revenue stream to them.

This is from the front of the book:

(c) 1979 by AFIPS Press.  Copying is permitted without payment of
royalty provided that (1) each reproduction is done without alteration
and (2) reference to the AFIPS Proceedings and notice of copyright are
included on the first page.  The title and abstract may be used without
further permission in computer-based and other information-service
systems.  Permission to republish other excerpts should be obtained from
AFIPS Press.

It seems like putting it on a webpage is more akin to republishing it
than it is copying it.  I'd be more than happy to add the necessary
credits to the scanned document, but that might not cut it.

My first thought was to contact them and ask permission to publish this
one article.  Despite an hour of googling, I can't find what happened to
them.  Do they still exist (I haven't seen anything with a recent date
published by them)?  Did they get folded into ACM or IEEE?

They used to be located at 210 Summit Avenue, Montvale, NJ 07645.  If I
enter that address into google maps, it reports about 20 businesses,
none of them AFIPS Press.  The Montvale New Jersey Business Directory
doesn't list AFIPS Press either.