Thrift store score: HP LJ4L

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:38:17 CST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Roy J. Tellason <rtellason at verizon.net> wrote:
>> It's not a 4ML, so it doesn't have Postscript, but I can't complain
>> about the price (and I do already have a 4ML I bought new for $1100,
>> 15+ years ago and it's still going strong).
>
> Isn't postscript in those a matter of just one SIMM?  And,  are those
> obtainable anywhere?  Just wondering...

Not with this model - the 4M and 4ML use the same case and engine (and
look identical from the outside), but under one of the cord cover bays
is a Mac-pinned RS-422 8-pin minidin which is either at the edge of or
is cabled to an extra board that the 4L does not have.  The extra
board is a Postscript engine and font ROMs.

I believe it would be possible to turn a 4L into a 4ML by adding the
extra goodies, but it is nothing like its contemporaries that were
mostly lacking a ROM SIMM with Postscript and/or Adobe fonts on it.

The 4ML will even talk out both ports - the Mac port to a Localtalk
network, and the parallel port to a PC or Amiga or whatever.  I used
to use that feature to my advantage when I would run a Mac emulator on
my Amiga (with add-on Mac serial ports and Localtalk).  The printer
was smart take a job from one port and hold the other port off until
the first job was done - no printer switch necessary.

Yes I like larger HP printers, but for something that only takes up
the corner of a desk, the 4ML is really nice.

-ethan