EPROM erase times and lifespan

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 09:42:30 CST 2009

--- On Thu, 1/29/09, Jules Richardson <jules.richardson99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Presumably more expensive erasers do things in-place - i.e.
> periodically do a blank-check during the erase cycle?

Hmm, I've never even heard of such a device. Even the professional EPROM erasers are little more than what I've built, a box with a UV light and a timer. I've never heard of an eraser in which the chip was actually connected to anything while being erased.

If a machine like this exists, however, it would be quite cool! But probably very expensive, and a pain in the neck to use, as you'd have to tell it what kind of chip you were erasing, and it would need ZIF sockets and all kinds of electronics to read the chips.

-Ian