Apple Airport w/ Adapters on CL

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:02:04 CDT 2009

On 7/2/09, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/2/09, J Blaser <oldcpu at rogerwilco.org> wrote:
>> Who was it that needed an Airport card for an iMac a couple of weeks ago?
>
> Me?
> ... a list member sent me an empty
> adapter and I have a handful of Orinoco cards (w/antenna jack) already
> lying around.  If they mechanically fit in the iMac (lots of room
> compared to other Apple devices, as far as I can tell), I should be
> good.

And guess what was waiting in the mailbox for me!

I did run into a mechanical issue - the card I have is the "standard"
laptop 802.11 card with an extended base and a plastic paddle covering
the internal antennas.  I recalled seeing a web page sometime back
about someone who hacked one of these into their Airport, so I removed
the cover because it was too close to a DIMM latch, but had the
lateral clearance to leave the internal antennas attached (unlike the
surgery I saw photos of).

So it "fits" and all I had to do was unsnap a bit of plastic, so if I
ever decide I need an Orinoco Gold card somewhere else, I can
reassemble it.  It would probably fit better if I amputated one of the
two "L-bracket" antennas, but I'd rather not do anything drastic.

Booting it up now... success!

So you don't "need" an Apple Airport card if you are willing to do a
little surgery on a standard Orinoco-chipset 801.11b card, but
obviously a "real" Apple card would just fit.

Now to track down a second 512MB PC133 DIMM to max this puppy out (it
already has 10.4 on it - not bad for a $20 thift-store find).

-ethan