VDU dripped red gunk - CRT delaminating?

John S john_a_s2004 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 10 03:00:39 CDT 2009

Hi,

I was delving through my pile to get to a monitor, when I found to my horror a sticky pool of red gunk on the floor. It was underneath an old VDU (1982 Pericom 9800), when I took it apart it looked like it had leaked from between the CRT and the faceplate. It had hardened into a thick jelly, I couldn't clean it from inside the case without removing the CRT.

My main worry was to clean the floor, the VDU was left inside a warm conservatory. Luckily we have vinyl tiles which cleaned up OK (else would have been a severe drop in WAF).

I've read here about CRF delaminating, the CRT now has the tell-tale patterns around the edge, but I don't recall reading about any discharges (of the liquid kind). My other thought is to do with coil windings, but it seemed to be directly under the front of the CRT, not the rear.

Any similar stories please?

Regards,
John