IBM 5150 PC

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Tue Jul 14 19:59:27 CDT 2009

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I loathed MASM 1.0-
> -it was all too possible to generate the wrong code; something that
> should never happen with an assembler.

How on earth is that possible?  I can imagine an assembler generating
non-optimal code, but non-FUNCTIONAL code?

> A lot of the darling programs are scarcely known now.  Harvard
> Presentation Graphics, Micrographx Deisgner, Corel Draw, numerous
> accounting packages, games...

The games are definitely well-known, but I agree with you about some of
the applications.  I remember a hypertext program called -- I think --
Instant Recall.  Every single word you typed into "card" was indexed, so
anything could link to anything.  Could be memory-resident too.