anyone read dealers of lightning?

blstuart at bellsouth.net blstuart at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 4 01:22:11 CDT 2009

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan at snarc.net> wrote:
>>> If you enjoy reading it, also read Soul of a new Machine, its about the
>>> creation of Data General and I think that was an even better read.
>>
>> I disagree.  Nobody would have bought Soul if it was titled, "How Data
>> General designed its latest computer."  I found it very dull, whereas
>> Dealers tells a story of a whole new era in computing.
>
> Oh no, I have to agree with Curt... Soul Of A New Machine is a great
> read, as was Dealers.  Of course, I'm a huge DG fan so I'm probably
> biased a bit. ;)

Actually my interest in DG is largely a result of Soul.  It's
one of the few books I've read more than once, and one
of even fewer that I've read in one sitting.  One of the things
that makes it stand out is that it comes at the story more
from the engineer's perspective and less of the business
perspective than many of the others.  And for me the
engineering is far, far more interesting than the business.

BLS