Classic mac fun (and some questions)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 09:09:14 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Christian Liendo
<christian_liendo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't have this anymore other wise I would send it to you but if you can find a copy of FWB Hard Disk Tool Kit.. It will help you mount pretty much anything. It will handle the CD-ROM problem.. FWB is no longer is business but the software is the best.

I remember always using the FWB Toolkit in the 6.x and 7.x days.  I
got a copy with a Reno external CD-ROM drive/portable audio drive (the
disc transport detached from the SCSI base).

> You wont be able to mount DVDs on 7.6..
> I think I was up to 9.2 before I got a DVD drive..

I don't have specific datapoints, but that sounds about right.  You
_might_ be able to use a DVD-R with 8.x, but I can't recall for
certain.

> I do recommend getting an Apple CD ROM because if you want to upgrade the OS from a CD you will need a bootable CD ROM drive and those are the best.

ISTR you can use a Sun CD-ROM drive, too, because of the
512-bytes-per-block mode, but that may be a fuzzy memory (I'm
reasonably certain you can install Solaris on old Sun gear with a
bootable Apple drive).  What I don't recall is if the CD-ROM drive
needs to merely support 512-b-p-b mode by responding to a specific
SCSI packet, or if it has to default to 512-b-p-b mode at power-on
(old Suns won't send the packet, but newer ones will, which is why I'm
a little fuzzy with that level of detail off the top of my head - all
of this has been hashed and rehashed, so if I personally were setting
something up, I'd start googling about bootable CD-ROM drives to
refresh my memory).

-ethan