PDP 11/73 on the Internet

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Jun 5 15:46:33 CDT 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Dave McGuire wrote:

> It's cool, but *really* slow.  Dicking with the overlays when building new
> kernels is fun the first few times, but after that..

Okay, that does not sound fun at all.  Somehow that is more in line with why
I've said I don't collect old UNIX boxes.  All my old ones were much newer
when I aquired them! :-)  I like my UNIX fast and modern.

> That said, though, I do keep an 11/83 ready-to-boot with 2.11BSD because
> it's very handy to be able to squirt disk images around via FTP and dd them
> to and from physical disks.

I have a MicroVAX III that is currently in storage, but will soon be moving
into our garage.  I built it to handle those sort of things, and I have a
SCSI box I can hook up to a Sun for the SCSI HD's on my PDP-11.  That's the
nice thing about the removable tray's on the PDP-11.  The MicroVAX III
handles reading and writing RL01 and RL02 images nicely.  I'm glad you made
me think of this, I need to be sure and leave room to get the row of 19"
racks into the garage!  It will be interesting to see how all the hardware
has held up after being in storage for the past nine years.  Though until I
get the cooling and power issues solved I won't be able to run much.

Zane