Classic mac fun (and some questions)

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sat Jun 6 01:09:58 CDT 2009

> Control Panels ->  TCP/IP (AOL)
> This works.  Is set it to ethernet and manually and plugged in good values.

This is where installing something like WhatRoute or NCSA Telnet would
be helpful.

> Control Panels -> Appletalk
> I set it to ethernet.  It says "current zone: no zones available"

Not surprising if you have no other AppleTalk hosts on the network. (It
would need to be old-style EtherTalk, at that.)

> I found file sharing and turned it on.

This only works for AppleTalk hosts, at least for 7.6.

> And to make matters worse, I noticed that there was an 8.1
> installation in a separate system folder.  I found the system folder
> picker and switched it to the 8.1 folder.  Now the machine won't boot.
>  I just get the happy face.  Is there some bootup key combination that
> can undo this?

You could try zapping PRAM (Cmd-Opt-P-R as the machine starts up; let it
chime a couple times with the keys held down) but this may not help as the
bogus System Folder will still be blessed. A sure fix would be to boot
from a valid secondary device, but with a bum floppy drive you're really
hosed.

I'm suspecting the Mac you have was messed up by its previous owner -- a
lot of these errors would be inexplicable with normal use. A full reinstall
of 7.6 or 8.1 from an external CD-ROM would be strongly advised.

-- So what's my point? I don't know, it's fun to talk about. -- Judy Blackburn