1964 Antique MODEM Live Demo

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 09:02:07 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Alexandre
Souza<alexandre-listas at e-secure.com.br> wrote:
>   Small tip here:
>
>   The FT-232 chip is a hell of expensive.

I wouldn't say it was that expensive - USB-to-TTL-serial cables are
$20 new here, and they are quite tidy and end in a dressed 0.1"
header.  For me, it's more of a case of being too fine-pitched for
easy breadboarding and I'm usually too lazy to cut a fresh board just
for USB-serial, so I use the ready-to-go cables.

> Buy an old NOKIA data cable (one
> with the fun port connector) or like (siemens, maxom, any very old data
> cable) for $1 and you have the USB-to-TTL-Serial(needs max-232 to be a full
> usb to rs-232 cable) for a cheap.

Can you point me to pictures of such cables?  I see phone adapters at
the thrift stores every time I go, and I don't mind hacking a $1 cable
(which is what they are here, too) to save $20.  I just don't know
exactly what I'm looking for.  "the fun port connector" doesn't mean
much to me - I've never owned a Nokia phone (in fact, I've only owned
two cell phones in 10 years, so I'm _not_ the right person for knowing
different vendors' quirks).

These data cables have an FTDI chip in them, but what identifier do
they send to the host?  I do some USB development (for LCD screens)
and have run across a number of questions raised about serial drivers
and chips not matching up and having to reset the identifiers and such
(or hack the driver to look for the "right" thing).

Thanks,

-ethan