For pickup: VAX-11/750 and RK07

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 13:08:29 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Tony Duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Indeed.  15 years ago, I was able to save the 11/750 from work, but
>> could not find room for a pair of RK07s and a pickup-truck-load of
>
> I think I'd have takne the drives (and put them on an 11 or something)
> and left the VAX. The 11/750 is not a machine I greatly care for....

I've seen your posting about the 11/750 and I cannot refute them given
your interests and proclivities, but this happened to be the machine I
first learned VMS on, the first machine I wrote a UNIX driver on, and
one that' I'd upgraded internally many times (it shipped with 512K and
I upgraded it myself to 8MB to give it five more years of use as the
company's main machine for all e-mail, software development and sales
activity).  This machine and I have a history going back some time, so
I couldn't just leave it behind.  The drives weren't stackable (unlike
the RL02s and the RA81s) so they had a large footprint for 28MB each
and I just didn't have a place for them.

>> RK07 cartridges.  Those were good drives - easy to repair, decent
>
> I am not convinced abotu the 'easy to repair'. I've read the printset,
> and that servo system is _complicated_. And don't you need some rather
> special tools/test gear to fit new heads?

I don't know about heads - in a decade of running RK07s daily, we
never had to fiddle with heads - we just kept from crashing our packs.
 Our failures were all electronics and easy to access, diagnose, and
repair.

My experience only, of course, YMMV.

-ethan