1964 Antique MODEM Live Demo

Alexandre Souza alexandre-listas at e-secure.com.br
Sat Jun 6 12:14:33 CDT 2009

    (fast answer, I'm doing barbecue here, anyone served? :D)

>Can you point me to pictures of such cables?  I see phone adapters at
>the thrift stores every time I go, and I don't mind hacking a $1 cable
>(which is what they are here, too) to save $20.  I just don't know
>exactly what I'm looking for.  "the fun port connector" doesn't mean
>much to me - I've never owned a Nokia phone (in fact, I've only owned
>two cell phones in 10 years, so I'm _not_ the right person for knowing
>different vendors' quirks).

    Since this info may interest other people, I'll do a small page with
photos, drivers, etc and put it online, hope to do it this night, hold on.

>These data cables have an FTDI chip in them, but what identifier do
>they send to the host?  I do some USB development (for LCD screens)
>and have run across a number of questions raised about serial drivers
>and chips not matching up and having to reset the identifiers and such
>(or hack the driver to look for the "right" thing).

    Usually they use the prolific chipset, I'll send more detailed info
later today

    Gfb
    Alexandre, PU1BZZ