Who's dead? (was RE: UNIX V7)

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Jun 10 06:25:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 23:46 -0400, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> > > It is still a sinking ship, unfortunately.
> >
> >    Why is that?  Because it's not Windows?
>
> Probably because its usage is going down over time?  I can't be
> completely sure, but I'm willing to bet that if HP ported it to
> x86/amd64 instead of ia64, it would have had a better chance of holding
> ground.

I'm surprised there hasn't been an open-source clone of VMS yet.
There's a pretty much functional open-source clone of BeOS, a pretty
much functional open-source clone of Windows, and more open-source
Unix-alikes than you could shake quite a large stick at.  There's even a
fairly "early days yet" OS/2 clone - anyone fancy porting it to a PDP11?

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough for VMS.

Gordon