Latest thrift store find - Ruby iMac (400MHz G3)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 15:44:20 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Gordon JC Pearce<gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 09:50 -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>> > There must be a mounting frame I'm missing, then...
>>
>> I suspect this is what's biting you:
>>
>>   "The AirPort Card Adapter is required to install an AirPort Card into any
>>    AirPort-ready, G3-based, slot-load iMac. This adapter was included with
>>    AirPort cards made during the same period as these computers."
>> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2367

Yeah.  I found that page, too.

> Wonder if that's like the PCI cards that accept PCMCIA wifi cards?

Perhaps, but there's enough pins on that SMT connector that it could
be a passive frame.

It clearly easily slides in a card from the top, so I suspect it
exists because of how little clearance there is in the bottom of an
iMac and how small that service opening is.

-ethan