One for Tony or other HP fetishists I suspect

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 17 16:18:43 CDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
>> Annoyingly I realised I picked up an HP41C manual in a charity shop a
>> few months back, too.  If I'd remembered that I had a manual for
>> it at
>> home I'd have picked it up straight away...
>
> The HP41 is one of the best docuemtned calculators _ever_ (the
> HP71B and
> HP75C are similarly well-documented -- documetiation including not
> just
> excellent user manuals and applicaiton manuals, but also
> schematics, bus
> information and ROM sources..). And much of the documetation is
> available
> on the web.
>
> Darn it, there's even an active user group for HP calculators in
> the UK,
> and yes, the HP41 is still discussed at meetings.
>
> Lack of documentation is never a reason not to buy an HP41 :-)

   Yet another reason why my 41CX will never leave my desk. :-) I
have a big collection of HP calculators, but the 41 has always
impressed me more than any other model.  I think it was because it
was advertised alongside all the 8-bitters of the early 1980s in the
magazines, as if it were a full-fledged computer...which, by all
definitions I'm aware of, it certainly is.

> BTW, the HP41C is 30 years old this year....

   Very cool!

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire