hard drive compatibility

Keith keithvz at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 10:18:25 CDT 2009

I have a hard drive that I bought 15 years ago.  Western Digital Caviar
2420.  425mb IDE drive.  Still works fine in my Amiga.

I recently tried to image the drive using DD under linux.  While Linux
recognizes the model number and capacity, it's unable to read even a
single block off the drive.  I get "ABRT" errors and "DRDY ERR" errors
during a read.

I have managed using another method to obtain an image of the drive as
I'm sure failure is right around the corner, but I'm still interested in
the problem I saw.

The ATA-1 standard was passed in the same year as the drive was made,
1994 --- it's possible the drive is "pre-standard."

The label on the drive says "AT Compatible Intelligent Drive."

Think semi-recent BIOS and new versions of linux should autodetect the
drive type ? Modify the (limited) info in BIOS? Use hdparam in linux?

Thanks

Keith

P.S. drive data sheet at
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/legacy/Legacy.asp?r=3

WD is awesome for still having this on their site.  Although I couldn't
check the warranty status w/ the serial number, what the heck!?@# :)