Whatever happened to MENTEC and the PDP-11?

Don North ak6dn at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 1 23:31:29 CST 2009

Rod Smallwood wrote:
> The last I heard of them was a takeover by Calyx. in 2006
>
> I can't see any reference to PDP-11 on the Calyx Website.
>
> So what happened ?
>

> Rod
>
> (Renovates Old  Dec)

There was a whole discussion on this last year, search the classiccmp
archives from
summer 2008 for references to 'mentec'. My conclusion from that
discussion was that
Mentec-Inc of PDP-11 fame no longer exists as a business, at least on
paper, and the
ownership/rights to the PDP-11 s/w have simply evaporated into the ozone.

Others have maintained that they are still in contact with Mentec-Inc
and are able to
buy PDP-11 licenses if they so desired. Mentec's phone, email, and
website have all
disappeared, so I believe you either need their Stargate address or
possibly an Ouija
board to place an order. Sadly I have neither....

Don

 From June 2008 or so....