Wow! RP06 on Ebay

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Mar 8 22:20:58 CDT 2009

On Sunday 08 March 2009, Brad Parker wrote:
> Ian King wrote:
> >We're running our 2065 at the PDP Planet site off an RP06.  An
> > interesting experience, to say the least.  -- Ian
>
> Please continue.
>
> I wish I'd paid more attention when the DEC service guy was doing PM.
>
> I assume it's massbus, which means (i'm out of my depth here) there
> is a ribbon cable from the drive to a controller which in turn
> connects to the backplane?

Not quite a ribbon cable... "internal" massbuss cables are a set of 3,
40 pin ribbon cables, and the external one is a fairly thick (1" or so)
cable, probably 120 pins just like the internal cable (though I haven't
pulled one apart to check).  This would connect to a multi-board
massbus controller in the machine.

Oh, and it uses three-phase power (as do all the RP disk drives). The
RP06 isn't too bad, power wise, it only is rated to use 12A at 208V 3
phase operating current: http://computer-refuge.org/dec-pics/rp06.html

Pat