low-capacity compact flash

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Mar 8 22:44:08 CDT 2009

On 8 Mar 2009 at 23:27, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> I don't know about what David is doing this for, but I've got
> something[1] that uses a CF card for storage, which claims it won't
> work with >128MB cards (and it actually didn't work when I tried a
> large one in it).

I had a similar problem with a 4GB CF card in my digicam.  Just flat
out gave the "card not usable" message and refused to do anything.

On a hunch, I plugged it into my Windoze system and did a FORMAT
/FS:FAT (to get a 16-bit FAT) and the thing worked fine, with the
exception of the exposure count reading "999".

I've got three 192MB cards here and will happily swap them for
something larger.

Cheers,
Chuck