macintosh rom simms

Teo Zenios teoz at neo.rr.com
Tue Mar 10 15:30:56 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Lanning" <brianlanning at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: macintosh rom simms

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Teo Zenios <teoz at neo.rr.com> wrote:
>> Yea the Q700 was the odd one, one of the few models I don't have. Q950's
>> have 4 empty slots (max 2MB), Q840av also have 4 (Max 2MB), Q800 have 2 I
>> think (max 1MB).
>>
>> VRAM for Nubus machines came in 512K and 256K varieties.
>
> Can Q700s take a separate nubus video board?  Maybe the money from the
> vram would be better spent on that.  I know some of the II series
> machines would get a performance boost form that sort of thing also.

A good Nubus video card will get you more features and probably more color
depth, but it still goes through the Nubus BUS which is kind of slow. Built
in video on the Quadra's isn't that bad. Once you get into the Nubus PPC the
PDS (processor direct slot) video cards are faster then any Nubus based one
just because of bandwidth. The Mac II series that has built in video is
crippled (IIci, IIsi, etc), the best Mac IIs (II, IIx, IIfx have no built in
video).

You can probably fine some VRAM cheaper then that website sells it for, try
LEMswap on google groups and see what comes up. I like the Supermac Thunder/
24 Nubus cards for Quadras, they are fast and have 3MB of VRAM for 24 bit
color at 1024x768.

You only have 2 slots on the Q700 for Nubus cards (which is why I never
bothered to get one), but for most people that is plenty.