Bitsavers size in historical units

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:27:41 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> On May 4, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Gene Buckle wrote:
>>>
>>> The other one that really gets me was the (thankfully short-lived) effort
>>> to replace the traditional "master/slave" ATA terminology with
>>> "master/subordinate", because some professionally offended person couldn't
>>> handle even the mention of the word "slave".
>>>
>> I think someone eventually handed that guy a nice, steaming hot cup of
>> STFU. :)
>
>  ROFL!  I suspect that was the case, yes. :)

Here's a contemporary word on the topic...

<http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html>

I'm not sure where the concept originated, but I do recall hearing a
complaint from a friend who worked for a University that they were
considering going down the same path as Los Angeles County, but I
don't remember if it was just at the (state) University level or
across the whole state.

There was at one point a large quantity of parody surrounding this.
My favorite was to replace "master/slave" with "mistress/worm".

-ethan