DEC ST506 Interface Adapter Part No 54-17003-01

Allison ajp166 at verizon.net
Thu May 14 14:13:27 CDT 2009

Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Robert Jarratt
> <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Looks like it is for a VAXstation 2000. Knowing that, does anyone know if
>> such a thing could fit (and work) in one of the two machines I mention
>> above?
>>

> I have a couple of uVAX 2000s (same box, move a jumper and don't
> attach a tube).  The unexpanded box has connectors on the motherboard
> and comes with cables to attach one drive.  I've seen them usually
> with RD53s and RD54s, but RD31s and RD32s should work fine, or IIRC,
> any drive you can manage to format on an RQDX3 using the Field Service
> formatter (not the Customer Runnable Diagnostics formatter).  You can
> format known models of drive (RD31, RD32, RD53, RD54, and perhaps
> others) in the uVAX2000 box, too, but I don't think there's a way to
> format non-DEC-geometry drives there.
>
> So... unexpanded, you get a 20-pin and a 34-pin cable from the
> mainboard to the drive.  What this expansion *might* be is a
> replacement cable that extends past the drive and goes out an access
> plate on the bottom of the box, then to a connector on a "skirt" (that
> should also be included) to give you a (ISTR) DD50P that you can cable
> to an external drive.  There may also be a small circuit board in the
> skirt for the drive, it's been years since I've opened mine.
>
> There's also room in the skirt for external connector for the 8-port
> serial expander (DHT32?).  I have one of those too, but haven't gotten
> the external cabling to use it.
>
> So... there _is_ a kit for adding an external disk connector to a
> MicroVAX/VAXstation 2000, but I have no idea if this part number is
> what it is.  The *controller* is built into every uV/VS2000, but not
> the cabling for an external drive.
>
> -ethan

The VS2000 can also format ANY MFM disk with to RQDX3 format for use
with with that board.  it has a diagnostic monitor page that does this.
Anyone working with DEC hardware
will find that feature alone useful.

the Box was expanable to a second similar sized on to add either TK50
using the sasi (sorta scsi) bus or another MFM drive such as rd50, 51,
52, 53, 54 31 and 32 plus RX33 floppy(teac fd55GFR).  It is also
possible to mount a rx33 and a rd32 in the same box.

Allison