IMSAI 8080 for sale....

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Mon May 18 15:10:17 CDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Michael Hart wrote:

> Lol!!!
> I just checked e-bay for what is being asked of an IMSAI-8080 that is
> not fully tested, no floppy drives and from what I can tell only has one
> board
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IMSAI-8080-S100-Low-S-003878-NEC-8080A-Works_W0QQitemZ190307992840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4f3d8508&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
>
> They are asking near $4000.00
>
> So whomever takes my offer will be getting a gem for of a system at a
> bargain price of $2000.00
>
> Anyway you have until Wednesday morning until I place it on e-bay.

Speaking as someone who has sold a few IMSAIs on Ebay, here's my take on
it.  $2000 for a known-working IMSAI-8080 with peripherals is a very good
deal.  I sold a machine with a CPU and a defective memory board (noted
that fact on the auction page) for $1700.  With all the goodies you're
tossing in, it's a steal.

Regarding shipping something like that?  I've found that the best way to
do it is get a roll of bubble wrap with the 1-inch-across bubbles.  Wrap
the thing with enough to turn it into a marshmallow.  Put that in a box
with at least six inches of clearance all the way around, then fill with
styrofoam peanuts.  I've done this with IMSAIs, Altairs, and an AT&T 3b1
-- no troubles reported.

Anyhow, I'm not interested as I already have my dream IMSAI.  My storage
unit can't take much more.  Someone, please give that machine a good home.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu