Nostalgic technologies article

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed May 20 14:19:44 CDT 2009

> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 20:49 +0100, Tony Duell wrote:
>
> > > Hayes modems
> >
> > Just about all modems are Hayes compatible (and I think you can still buy
> > dial-up modems...)
>
> AT commands are alive and well and in your mobile phone - how else do
> you talk to the radio stack?

Indeed :-). And I seem to rememebr all sorts of other wireless
communication devices use versions of the AT command set.

> > > Sony Minidiscs
> >
> > Hmmm.. I spotted a 'Minidisk Walkman' (portable playback-only minidisk
> > player) along with a 'Network Walkman' (looks to be an MP3 player, it's
> > got a Toshiba PCMCIA hard disk inside) for \pounds 1.00 each in a charity
> > shop last week. Yes I bought them (I don;t know why, my idea of a
> > portable sound reproduction device is a Philips EL3586, but anyway..)
>
> Why?  Because it would be rude not to, at that price.

OK :-). I am not sure what I am going to use them for (the minidisk unit
is playback only, I don't have anythign that could record such a disk,
the hard-disk unit has a multi-pin connector on the bottom, I have no
idea what the connections are), and I have no idea if they work. But tat
thet price they're worth it for case parts, etc (they are in good
physical condition).

Incidnetally, for those who don't know what a Philips EL3586 is, it's a
forerunner of the compact cassette recorder. The compact cassette
origianlly used 2 track mono recording (heads record on half the width of
the tame, flip the tape over to use the other half) at 1+7/8 ips. The
EL3586 (and the older, and similar EL3585) is about the size of a large
transistor radio and is a battery-operated reel-to-reel recorder (3"
spools with the lid on, 4" with it off IIRC), using the same 'logical
format'. I must compare the circuitry with that in the early cassette
recorders sometime (yes, I have one and the service manual).